In addition to requirements for each document detailed on the Instrument Checklist, there are specific page format requirements detailed in the Ohio Revised Code and legal description requirements.
Document pages have specific format guidelines defined by the law (effective July 1, 2009) in Ohio Revised Code 317.114 for documents recorded with all State of Ohio County Recorder Offices. The purpose is to provide a standard area on every instrument for placing necessary recording documentation. This guideline makes certain that recording will be efficient and easily noticeable throughout the State of Ohio. The law also provided some exceptions and does allow for items out of compliance to be recorded with additional fees.
Guidelines are as follows:
- Black or Blue Ink only
- Computer font size of at least 10 point
- 1 inch margin on each side and bottom
- 1 ½ inch top margin on all additional pages
- 3 inch margin on top of first page
- Maximum paper size: 8 ½ by 14
- Minimum paper size: 8 ½ by 11
- No use of highlighting
This Page Format Template (PDF) provides a guideline for documents.
If a document does not conform to these guidelines, an additional recording fee of $20 will be collected. These guidelines do not apply to:
- Any document executed prior to the effective date of this law
- Any document from any court or taxing authority
- Any state or federal document