911 is about providing the public with one simple, easy to remember number to be used in emergency situations. An emergency is when immediate police, fire, or ambulance assistance is needed to protect life or property. If you need help immediately, dial 911.
Examples of Emergencies
Here are just a few examples:
- A car wreck
- Someone is choking on their food
- A fire of any type - house, car, woods, etc.
- If you see a crime in progress
- Someone is having or suspects they are heart attack or stroke
- Any dangerous situation such as a gas leak or downed power line
- Someone is drowning
- Someone is hurt, or bleeding, or having trouble breathing
- Severe weather such as to report a tornado sighting