I Have My New Certificate. What Is The Next Step?

Recording Your Commission

After an applicant receives his or her commission, but before he or she can use it, the applicant must take an oath, which is endorsed on the commission. In Williams County, that oath must be taken at the office of the Clerk of the Court of Common Pleas. The Clerk records the commission, and receives a $5 fee for so doing. If a certified copy of a notary commission is needed, it can be obtained from the clerk for $2. As a part of the Secretary of State's processing of the applications, the Secretary of State also maintains a record of notary commissions.